SIA Licence Frequently Asked Questions

Does my training course fee also include the actual SIA licence (card)?

No. When you successfully complete your SIA Licence-Linked course with Axiom Dynamics, you can then apply for an SIA licence (within 3 years maximum) paying the SIA licence fee. We explain this whole process during your SIA Licence-Linked Courses.

How must does the SIA licence cost and how long does it last for?

The SIA licence costs £190 (payable to the SIA) and lasts for 3 years. Renewals cost the same as a new SIA application, £190. The whole process is explained during your SIA Licence-Linked Course.

SIA Licensing criteria and Right to Work Status

You are responsible for ensuring that you meet the SIA’s licensing criteria before attending your training course and applying for an SIA licence. Please check the Security Industry Authority (SIA) website for more details.

English is not my first language. Will this matter?

An acceptable level of English language is an official requirement to complete any SIA Licence-Linked courses. This includes English speaking, listening, reading and writing. Not only is this important throughout the course, but also for the completion of forms, reports, understanding of all modules and the many questions in the multiple-choice exams. It is also required in order to work in the security industry – communicating with the public, staff, Emergency Services, etc. verbal, non-verbal and written.
If you attend the course and it is identified that you do not have an acceptable level of English, it will result in you being refused for the course (or remainder of the course), including the loss of your full course fee. Please contact us if you have any queries regarding this.

Can I apply for an SIA licence if I have a Criminal Record?

If you have a criminal record, it does not necessarily mean that you will not be granted an SIA licence. If you have any doubt, then please check “Will I pass the Criminality Checks” on the SIA website to get an indication.

Can I just attend the Door Supervision or Security Officer course without doing the First-Aid?

You can but only if you have an existing valid First-Aid qualification (12 months until expiry) and can produce the original certificate (for us to check and photocopy on the first day of your security course). This can include Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW); First Aid at Work (FAW), First Person on Scene (FPOS); First Response Emergency Care (FREC). Further details can be found via this link:

I have tried renewing my SIA licence, but have been informed by the SIA that I am required to do Top-Up training. Can you advise?

The SIA has introduced Top-up training. Depending on which SIA Licence-linked qualification will depend on how long the Top-up training is. Further details can be found on the government website here:

We have also put the following information together here: Top-up Training

What is involved in the training?

Plenty of guidance and support will be given throughout your course, they involve Pre-Course Study issued to you before your course starts, as well as several Theory and Practical scenario sessions which include writing, reading, listening and speaking.

There are a lot of multiple-choice exam questions involved on the last day(s), with the flexible requirement to get at least 75% correct, although with all theory and discussions during the course you will be ready for the exams. We have a high pass rate, and in the unlikely event that anyone fails an exam, we guarantee a FREE resit of the exam.

Does the training include any physical activity?

Yes, the first-aid training for Door Supervision and Security Officer courses includes practical training – giving CPR to a training manikin, which involves giving 30 chest compressions for two minutes. Physical activity is also required during the teaching of person-searching demonstrations, scenarios and during the Physical Intervention skills in the Door Supervision course, which also involves safely escorting a person downstairs and upstairs (with colleagues’ help). Please contact us if you have any queries regarding this, and/or you may want to consult with your doctor if required.

How do I register for an online SIA account?

How do I complete my online SIA application?

How Do I Check The Status Of My SIA Application?

How do I make changes to personal details with the SIA?

What Identification documents do I need to bring with me?

In line with the Security Industry Authority’s documentation requirements, we can only accept the following forms of identification:

  • One identity document from the Group A list and
  • Two documents from the Group B list. At least one document must show the learner’s current address and at least one document must show their date of birth.

We will need to check your identity before the course assessments take place. A record of the documents reviewed and accepted will be retained for a minimum of 3 years and be made available for audit purposes.

The list of identity documents are provided below:

Group A Documents

  • Current, valid passport of any nationality of any nationality.
  • Driving licence photocard if it was issued by the DVLA in Great Britain. We will not accept the photocard on its own if it was issued by the DVA in NorthernIreland.
  • Current, valid photocard driving licence and its paper counterpart issued by the DVA in Northern Ireland.
  • UK original birth certificate issued within 12 months of birth.
  • Current, valid UK biometric residence permit card.

Group B Documents

  • Valid UK firearms licence with photo.
  • Current UK driving licence – paper version (not the paper counterpart to a photocard).
  • P45 statement of income for tax purposes on leaving a job issued in the last 12 months.
  • P60 annual statement of income for tax purposes issued in the last 12 months.
  • Bank or building society statement issued to your current address, less than three months old. You can use more than one statement as long as each is issued by a different bank or building society.
  • Mortgage statement issued in the last 12 months.
  • Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, water, satellite, cable) issued to your current address within the last three months. Please note that you can only submit one utility bill in support of your SIA application.
  • Pension, endowment or ISA statement issued in last 12 months.
  • Letter from HM Revenue & Customs, Department of Work and Pensions, employment service, or local authority issued within the last three months. You can submit more than one letter as long as each is issued by a different government department or a different local authority.
  • A credit card statement sent to your current address within the last three months. You can submit more than one statement as long as each is issued by a different issuer.
  • Council tax statement issued in the last 12 months.
  • Driving licence photocard (without a paper counterpart) issued by the DVA in Northern Ireland.