This qualification is designed for those learners wishing to gain the knowledge and skills required to enable them to provide effective emergency paediatric first aid.
Learners will become familiar with the role of the paediatric first-aider and be able to assess and react appropriately to an emergency situation, such as a child or an infant who is unresponsive, has an airway obstruction, has breathing difficulties or is suffering from shock.
The qualification is valid for a period of 3 years, after which point learners will need to retake the course. In addition to this it is recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually
Benefits you will gain:
- High-quality study materials
- Highfield’s comprehensive Paediatric First Aid book
- Recognised Accredited Qualification.
- Study in a friendly environment
- Excellent customer support
Highfield Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (RQF)
Awarded by Highfield Qualifications
This qualification is designed for individuals wishing to gain the knowledge and skills required to enable them to provide effective emergency paediatric first aid. It is ideal for pre-school or nursery staff, toddler group volunteers and childminders. It is also suitable for parents, relatives and foster carers.
What does the Qualification cover?
- the roles and responsibilities of a paediatric first-aider
- assessing an emergency safely
- Recovery position
- CPR and AED
- administering first aid to a choking infant or child
- dealing with shock, scolds, bleeds, bites, stings and minor injuries
- dealing with casualties with fractures, and spinal or head injuries
Method of Assessment:
Learners must complete:
- Practical observation: the practical assessment is completed throughout the course delivery. This ongoing assessment requires learners to demonstrate practical first aid skills. The practical assessment will be recorded using the practical matrix within the Assessment Pack.
- Centre-marked multiple-choice theory assessment: learners are required to answer a series of questions contained within theory question papers. Oral questioning may be used. In this case, the assessor should document the responses within the assessment pack.
Who is the Level 3 Emergency Paediatric First Aid Course for?
This Emergency Paediatric First Aid Course is entry-level and is suitable for everyone. It can benefit those who may need to help an infant or a child during the event of an emergency. This include:
- Au Pairs
- Grand Parents
Total Qualification Time
The total qualification time (TQT) for this qualification is 7 hours. It has been agreed with the First Aid Awarding Organisation Forum (FAAOF) that centres must deliver courses with a minimum contact time of 6 hours over a period of 1 day.
This qualification may be delivered over a longer period provided each training sessions lasts at least 2 hours. The training delivery and assessment must be completed within a 4-week period.
Learners are required to be 16 years of age prior to certification. It is also advised that learners have a minimum of level 1 in literacy to enable them to complete the assessment.
On successful completion of this qualification, learners may wish to continue their development by undertaking one of the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (2 Day)
- Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW)
- Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work (FAW)
- Level 3 Award in First Aid Response
- Level 2 Award in Basic Life Support and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator