The objective of this qualification is to support learners who already have an existing Level 3 First Aid at Work certificate which is due for renewal or has recently expired. If the certificate has expired more than 28 days the full three-day qualification will have to be completed.
The content of the qualification meets the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) requirements for training first-aiders in those organisations that have identified that staff need to be trained to this level within their first-aid needs assessment.
The qualification covers knowledge such as the roles and responsibilities of the first aider, how to assess an incident and recognising signs and symptoms of injury and illness. The qualification also covers first aid skills in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) and assisting a casualty who is suffering from major injury and illness such as chest injuries, spinal injuries and anaphylaxis.
In line with the guidance provided by the HSE, the qualification supports/approves workplace first aiders for a period of 3 years. Therefore, the qualification is valid for three years from the date of the award. In addition to this, it is recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
Benefits you will gain:
- High-quality study materials
- Highfield’s comprehensive First Aid at Work book
- Recognised Accredited Qualification.
- Study in a friendly environment
- Excellent customer support
Highfield Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work Refresher (RQF)
Awarded by Highfield Qualifications
This two-day requalification meets the requirements of both the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 and the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1982. This is the same qualification as the Red Cross and St Johns, preparing first aiders for both emergency and non-emergency situations.
What does the Qualification cover?
- the roles and responsibilities of a first-aider
- assessing an emergency safely
- CPR and AED
- administering first aid to a choking casualty
- putting a casualty in the recovery position
- dealing with shock, burns, scalds, bleeds and minor injuries
Method of Assessment:
Learners must complete:
- Practical observation: the practical assessment is completed throughout the course delivery. This ongoing assessment requires learners to demonstrate practical first aid skills. The practical assessment will be recorded using the practical matrix within the Assessment Pack.
- Centre-marked multiple-choice theory assessment: learners are required to answer a series of questions contained within theory question papers. Oral questioning may be used. In this case, the assessor should document the responses within the assessment pack.
Who is the Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work Refresher Course for?
Holding a current Level 3 certificate is a pre-entry requirement. Therefore an emphasis is placed on refreshing the current skills and getting updated on any changes to the guidelines.
- Hospitality including events
- Warehouses where machinery is used
- Tree surgeons
- A business that is responsible for more than 100 people
Total Qualification Time
For prequalification, it is 12 hours over 2 days. These contact hours must be adhered to unless the learner meets requirements to complete an Assessment Only Requalification which has no minimum stipulation on contact hours.
We recommend learners are a minimum of 14 years of age. However, Centres will need to assure themselves that learners, whatever their age, are physically capable of completing the practical assessment.
It is also advised that learners have a minimum of Level 1 in English.
On successful completion of this qualification, learners may wish to continue their development by undertaking one of the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Award in First Aid Response
- Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid