A qualification for work, study and life. Achievement of the qualification demonstrates the ability at an appropriate level to read, write, speak, listen and communicate in English, and to apply these skills effectively to a range of purposes in the workplace and in other real-life situations.
Furthermore, the Department for Education (DFE) outlines the aims of the qualifications, stating that Functional Skills English qualifications at level 1 indicate that learners should be able to speak, listen, communicate, read and write clearly, accurately, confidently and with effectiveness.
Benefits you will gain:
- High-quality study materials
- Comprehensive functional skills handbook
- Recognised Accredited Qualification
- Study in a friendly environment
- Examination options (paper-based or on-screen)
- Complimentary access to an online functional skills resource that hosts a range of engaging English materials to support learners, including initial assessments, tutorials and interactive learning resources
- Excellent customer support
Highfield Functional Skills Qualification in English at Level 1
Awarded by Highfield Qualifications
The GLH for this qualification is 55 hours; however, teaching time depends largely on the mode of delivery and the individual learner’s needs.
What does the Qualification cover?
- Speaking, Listening and Communicating
The content of the functional skills qualifications is determined by a range of skills called ‘subject content. Learners are required to demonstrate their ability to use these skills autonomously, applying them to a range of formal and informal contexts that a learner would expect to encounter in the workplace and in real life.
Highfield functional skills qualifications in English lend themselves to several different modes of delivery, examples of which are:
- classroom delivery: a learner attends taught sessions with further work given as homework (self-study);
- distance learning (self-study): a learner uses resources (paper-based or e-learning) and completes tasks independently with remote tutor/assessor support;
- embedded learning: functional skills in English can be embedded within other taught programmes;
- blended learning: a mixture of 2 or more of the above modes.
Method of Assessment:
Learners must complete:
- On-screen Assessment – On-screen assessments are scheduled by the Awarding Organisation.
- Paper-based assessment – Paper-based assessments are scheduled by the Awarding Organisation.
Highfield Qualifications’ on-demand paper-based and on-screen assessments for functional skills allow Axiom Dynamics the flexibility to set a date of assessment at a time convenient to both the centre and the learner.
How is the qualification assessed? The qualification includes three mandatory components:
- Speaking, listening & communicating – This component is internally assessed and learners must complete two assessed tasks: 1. Presentation and Q&A (approximately 15 minutes) 2. Group discussion (approximately 15 minutes)
- Reading – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by Highfield Qualifications. Learners must answer a series of questions using two texts based on real-life contexts. (1 hour)
- Writing – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by Highfield Qualifications. Learners must complete two writing tasks based on purposeful contexts. All tasks must be completed. (1 hour)
Assessments completed remotely, what does it actually mean?
Assessments can be completed in the comfort of your own home using virtual classroom technology. This means you won’t have to sit in a room with other people to take your assessment. You can do your assessment on your own, with an invigilator watching via webcam to make sure you are following the exam guidelines. Before your assessment, you will be sent instructions with all of the rules and regulations you need to follow and guidance on how we will make your assessment as fair as possible.
This course is designed for distance learning study and completion, however, if you want us to come to you, it will cost £174 (£145 ex VAT) + travel costs.
Guidance on results notification and certification
To achieve the Functional Skills Qualification in English at Level 1 learners must successfully pass all 3 mandatory components. Each component must be achieved at the same level.
Speaking, Listening and Communicating: Axiom Dynamics will inform Highfield of a learner’s achievement of this component by submitting a notification of completion.
Reading and Writing: Learners must successfully pass the 1 mandatory assessment for reading and the 1 mandatory assessment for writing. Highfield Qualifications has designed its marking schedule to ensure that Axiom Dynamics can be assured of a reliable service with the focus on minimising the wait for results.
If unsuccessful, learners may re-sit the assessment. Axiom Dynamics will select the re-sit option when scheduling a re-sit. Please note that there is a charge for each additional reading and/or writing assessment taken. There is no limit to the number of attempts a learner may take, but we will provide appropriate support to prepare learners for the assessment.
The qualification outcome is pass or fail.
After successfully completing all 3 components, a certificate will be issued.
Total Qualification Time
The total qualification time for these qualifications is 60 hours for level 1 and of these 55 hours are recommended as guided learning hours at this level.
TQT is an estimate of the total number of hours it would take an average learner to achieve and demonstrate the necessary level of attainment to be awarded with a qualification, both under direct supervision (forming guided learning hours) and without supervision (all other time). TQT and GLH values are advisory and assigned to a qualification as guidance.
There are no formal entry requirements for learners wishing to take this qualification.
Axiom Dynamics are however advised to assess a learner’s ICT skills prior to registering them for on-screen assessment. Paper-based assessment should be used for learners with limited ICT skills.
Functional skills qualifications are recommended for learners over the age of 14. The
qualification is suitable for delivery in a wide range of learning environments and can be taken as a stand-alone qualification or as part of a wider programme of study. Learners undertaking an apprenticeship will need to successfully complete functional skills, or prove their exemption, in order to pass through gateway.
It is the responsibility of Axiom Dynamics to have systems in place to ensure that the person taking an assessment is indeed the person they are claiming to be. Axiom Dynamics are therefore required to ensure that each learner’s identification is checked before they undertake the assessment. Axiom Dynamics recommends the following as proof of a learner’s identity:
- a valid passport (any nationality)
- a signed UK photocard driving license
- a valid warrant card issued by HM forces or the police
- another photographic ID card, e.g. employee ID card, student ID card, travel card etc.
If a learner is unable to produce any of the forms of photographic identification listed above, we may accept another form of identification containing a signature, for example, a credit card. Identification by a third-party representative, such as a line manager, human resources manager or invigilator, will also be accepted.
After successfully completing the Functional Skills Qualification in English at Level 1, learners may wish to continue their development by undertaking one of the following qualifications:
- Functional Skills Qualification in English at Level 2
- GCSE English